> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:25:04 -0600 (CST)
> From: "Andy Zbikowski (Zibby)" <zibby+tclug at ringworld.org>

> I decided to give Fedora a shot for a bit, though after getting it all up
> and running I nearly went back to the backup of my Debian Stable install
> due to Fedora's version of XMMS not including mp3 support. (Due to
> licensing/patent issues or something.) Alright, deep breath. XMMS.org has
> RPMs for xmms. Download, install...needs alib-blah, or wast it
> asound-blah...damn I miss apt.
>
> Install apt, check sources.lost, add freshrpms.net. apt-get install
> alsa-lib. Ah, that's better. rpm -U xmms*.rpm. Hello raidioparadise.com,
> Fedora can stick around for another week or so.

>From the spiffy artoo site (http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/#up2date):

Q: How do I make XMMS play MP3s?
A: Before I talk about this, you should know: In the United States and
other countries, you legally must pay patent royalties to use MP3 players
or encoders.
With that said, the plugins for these things are usually in the
rpm.livna.org repository.

Set up your yum.conf to be able to access rpm.livna.org. (See the question
about getting Fedora software)
Open a Terminal.
Become root. (su -)
Type yum install xmms-mp3.