On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 10:59:21AM -0600, Jim Crumley wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 10:26:51AM -0600, John Meier wrote:
> > I'd like to plop in a cdrom on one of my headless boxes and have it
> > rip  and encode (ogg or flac)  then eject the cdrom and wait for the
> > next.
> >
> > I have been playing with abcde, but haven't found a way to make this
> > all automatic....  anyone ever accomplish anything like this before?
>
> Do you have ssh access into the box?  Since I know grip, I would
> ssh in and run grip remotely.  Grip can be configured to do
> exactly what you want.

I was a big fan of Grip because of the auto-rip feature.  Unfortunately
grip started depending on the whole Gnome library bomb so I've stopped
using it.  I've also started using abcde and would like the auto-rip
feature.

I took a look at the Grip source and it looks like it just calls an
ioctl to see if there is a disc in the drive or if it can read the TOC.
There probably is a Perl library to check the same information in Perl,
but I'm not a Perl hacker so I don't know.

You could use the cd-discid tool to check if there is a disc in the
drive.  It returns 0 when there is a disc and 1 when there isn't.  You
could put that in a shell script loops calling cd-discid.

What I would like to find is a way to register a call-back to the kernel
for cd insertion.  Does anyone know if that exists?

Nate