> I was a big fan of Grip because of the auto-rip feature.  Unfortunately
> grip started depending on the whole Gnome library bomb so I've stopped
> using it.  I've also started using abcde and would like the auto-rip
> feature.

Ditto - wish there was a cmd line version of grip :)

> You could use the cd-discid tool to check if there is a disc in the
> drive.  It returns 0 when there is a disc and 1 when there isn't.  You
> could put that in a shell script loops calling cd-discid.

Yeah -

I think I may use cripple:

http://www.vortex.prodigynet.co.uk/cripple/cripple.1.html

 and this guy's script :

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t28945.html

as astarting point to detect insertion and then loop a cripple command.

If I write something I'll post code if others are interested and won't
make fun of my not-so-uber-or-l33t-scripting-skillz.

:)