Thanks everybody for your thoughts and comments. Thanks for suggesting
knoppix. I haven't heard about knoppix before and after reading about
it from internet I found the idea interesting and want to try it in
future. Also Scott's comment encourages me to do a FC1->FC3 upgrade.

Adam, thanks for your way of explaining things. It is good that you
suggested me to compile my own kernel. Actually I was thinking about
that myself but wasn't very confident. I tried to recompile my
existing 2.4.x kernel to have APM support. There was no error message
during the process but when I tried to boot with the custom kernel the
system hanged.

There are so many postings in fedora forum with FC1->FC3 upgrade
problems and problems with FC3 in general that I want to install FC3
in a new partition without touching my running FC1. After that I can
safely play around with the 2.6.x kernel. Can I use the same swap
partition for both FC1 and FC3? I am running Grub. Can I modify the
grub.conf after the installation to include FC3 as a chainload option,
or do I need to update the boot loader during installation? Anything
else I need to know for the venture?

Arko.