FC3 had no prob with my lexar jumpdrive

-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org]On Behalf Of Adam Shrode
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 4:35 PM
To: Arkajyoti Misra; tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] USB jumpdrive and FC1

Arkajyoti Misra wrote:

>NO LUCK!!
>It seems there is no support for the device I have. I found and
>selected an entry against a LEXAR memory device under the usb mass
>storage menu and then ran the commands you wrote. It took about 15-20
>minutes to compile. There was no error message. However, nothing
>changed. I rebooted the machine with the modified kernel but no luck
>either.
>So, I guess I have to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel version to see if they
>have included any support for my device. Also I have two memory cards
>for my digital camera which which are not recognised either.
>What is the difference between a full scale kernel compilation (make
>depend etc.) and the process you suggested (make modules etc.)?
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Arko.

I regret to hear it didn't work.  Per
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/x45.html,

What exactly is a kernel module? Modules are pieces of code that can be
loaded and unloaded into the kernel upon demand. They extend the
functionality of the kernel without the need to reboot the system. For
example, one type of module is the device driver, which allows the
kernel to access hardware connected to the system. Without modules, we
would have to build monolithic kernels and add new functionality
directly into the kernel image. Besides having larger kernels, this has
the disadvantage of requiring us to rebuild and reboot the kernel every
time we want new functionality.

So you shouldn't have needed to restart the system as we weren't
compiling the kernel, just a module.  I hope that's clear.  The reason
it took 20 minutes is A) you have a really old laptop, or B) fedora
selects every damn thing under the sun to work as a module, and I'm
guessing it's B.  I can almost guarantee you don't need 80% of the stuff
selected in the kernel.  (It takes me about a minute when I make my own
modules)  If you have an extra day, I readily encourage you to try to
roll your own kernel.

First, make an emergency boot disk.  As long as you can boot from you
CD, you can use the first CD of the Fedora installation set.

To get your own kernel go to kernel.org and download 2.6.9 into /usr/src/
gzip -cd linux-2.6.XX.tar.gz | tar xvf -
rm linux
ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.XX linux
cd linux-2.6.XX
make menuconfig (or make xconfig or make gconfig)
make
make modules_install
-----
Then you might have to manually configure.  The file you need is in
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage.  That is the kernel.

Since you're running fedora,
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.6
rm /boot/vmlinuz
ln -s /boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz

If you are running either grub or lilo, you can add an option at boot
time of which kernel you would like to run, which is advisable so read
the documentation for whichever
man lilo
man grub

All modules are not in that kernel.  They have to be loaded separately.
Either from a boot file like /etc/modules.conf or manually line insmod
<module>  You can think of the kernel as being builtin modules whereas
the other modules are external modules and may be integrated with the
builtin modules at a later point if that makes more sense.

Expect the total time it will take to build your own kernel from 90
minutes to 3 hours.  It depends if you go through and read every option
possible.

Just keep in mind when you roll your own kernel, you have to know
*exactly* what's in your computer.  It might be handy to make a list as
everything will need to be supported which means a little asterisk (*)
or an M by each option in the kernel.

Regards
Adam