From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Loren H. Burlingame
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 9:18 PM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Laptop advice

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:00:20 -0600, Chris Smith <christophermsmith at mac.com>
wrote:
> Now that IBM is
> selling though, I'd go Dell. You can get repairs done and get ahold of
> someone, and their onsite service is good. (get a lattitude and you
> can talk to US based support, vs. India.)  I have a Lat D800 running
> FC3 and it works very well, though I haven't had time to play w/ the
> wireless yet everything else works great.

I strongly recommend *not* going with dell for laptops.

I have a Latitude c640 and while it works just fine with linux I have had
some serious overheating problems.

The thing always seemed to get hotter than I would ever imagine could be
normal (regularly runs at about 141 celsius with nothing else
going) and sure enough less than a year after I bought it the motherboard
died due to overheating. Looking at message boards, this would seem to be a
very common problem with Dell laptops, to the point where there are a couple
3rd party fan utilities written specifically for them to keep their fans
running at full tilt at all times.

I spent a week with support trying to get my motherboard replaced, which did
ultimately happen, but it was a hassle.

--
Loren H. Burlingame <loren at lhb.name>
GPG Key ID: 0x112DCF4F