On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Loren H. Burlingame wrote:
> I have a Latitude c640 and while it works just fine with linux I have
> had some serious overheating problems.
>
> The thing always seemed to get hotter than I would ever imagine could be
> normal (regularly runs at about 141 celsius with nothing else going) and
> sure enough less than a year after I bought it the motherboard died due
> to overheating. Looking at message boards, this would seem to be a very
> common problem with Dell laptops, to the point where there are a couple
> 3rd party fan utilities written specifically for them to keep their fans
> running at full tilt at all times.
>
> I spent a week with support trying to get my motherboard replaced, which
> did ultimately happen, but it was a hassle.

We actually got Dell laptops specifically for the warranty they offer;
I've got a Latitude C840, and have had some wear+tear problems (keyboard
failing, battery latch falling off, small crack in the case by the
ethernet port, etc) and a few not wear+tear problems (cdrom and fan going
bad); every time I've called, they've had the parts to me the next day,
along with a tech (if I wanted one). CompleteCare rules!