On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:00:20 -0600, Chris Smith
<christophermsmith at mac.com> wrote:
> Now that IBM is
> selling though, I'd go Dell. You can get repairs done and get ahold of
> someone, and their onsite service is good. (get a lattitude and you can talk
> to US based support, vs. India.)  I have a Lat D800 running FC3 and it works
> very well, though I haven't had time to play w/ the wireless yet everything
> else works great.

I strongly recommend *not* going with dell for laptops.

I have a Latitude c640 and while it works just fine with linux I have
had some serious overheating problems.

The thing always seemed to get hotter than I would ever imagine could
be normal (regularly runs at about 141 celsius with nothing else
going) and sure enough less than a year after I bought it the
motherboard died due to overheating. Looking at message boards, this
would seem to be a very common problem with Dell laptops, to the point
where there are a couple 3rd party fan utilities written specifically
for them to keep their fans running at full tilt at all times.

I spent a week with support trying to get my motherboard replaced,
which did ultimately happen, but it was a hassle.

--
Loren H. Burlingame <loren at lhb.name>
GPG Key ID: 0x112DCF4F