Arkajyoti Misra wrote:

>    Hello All!
>
>    This my first mail to the TCLUG.
>    I am running FC1 on a Toshiba satellite laptop and trying to get the
>    OS to recognize my USB jumpdrive. My /etc/fstab looks like this...
>    LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
>    LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
>    none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
>    none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
>    none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
>    /dev/hda5               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
>    /dev/sda1              /mnt/usb              vfat
>    noauto,owner,user,sync 0 0
>    /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
>    noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>    Now when I try to mount the drive I get the following error...
>        mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
>    mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
>
>    Running /sbin/fsck I get the following...
>    fsck 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)
>
>    dosfsck 2.8, 28 Feb 2001, FAT32, LFN
>    open /dev/sda1:No such device or address
>
>    Any suggestions what to do now?
>    I googled for this problem but came up with no solution.
>
>    Thanks.
>
>    Arko.

Please post what you get when you do the following:

Unplug the USB reader and card and issue the command 'tail
/var/log/messages/' then plug the reader back in and insert the card
back into the reader and issue 'mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb.  Issue
'tail -20 /var/log/messages' and then post back with the output of both
runs of tail.

Also issue the command 'dmesg | grep -i usb'

This is looking at fault mostly on the system, but you might also want
to check the card you're trying to read is also good.  After you did the
above (with your card still in the machine, try doing '/sbin/fdisk -l
/dev/sda1'   I'm assuming that this card is good as in you have taken
pictures on it and can read the pics back off on your camera.  If you
had another card that is free of space or if the card you are trying to
read is free of space, try formatting the card first.

Also, /dev/sda1 should be dynamically created, make sure it is gone when
you disconnect your USB reader from your laptop and reappears when you
plug it back in.

So do
file /dev/sda1 OR  ls -l /dev/sda1
before and after connecting your reader/card

Adam