On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 12:26:02AM -0600, Adam Shrode wrote:
> Arkajyoti Misra wrote:
>
> >   I am running FC1 on a Toshiba satellite laptop and trying to get the
> >   OS to recognize my USB jumpdrive.

Do Adams suggestions below.  When the kernel loads the various
hardware probing leaves a log.  Some useful information to look for is
any hardware identification.
Also you want to look for any error messages.
When you plug in a USB device, the kernel will leave some message showing
the new device,  You might want to try some other usb gadget as well.
You should see some trace from dmesg, and the new device should show
up with lsusb.  Once that works, usb-storage should take over.

You might want to get a recent copy of Knoppix and see if it does
any better.  The newer Knoppix comes with an optional 2.6.x kernel.

You could get into compiling the latest kernels, but that takes
some experience.