On Tuesday 03 August 2004 03:29 pm, michaelb at real-time.com wrote:
> Let me switch subjects instead, why is a negative attitude towards Java so
> prevalent on this list?  Java is backed by a UNIX vendor, it is a direct
> competitor to Microsoft's development platforms, and there are zillions of
> Open Source Java projects.  It surprises me that the technology doesn't get
> welcomed with open arms here.
>
> Mike

Well maybe we should look where some of the discussion started. There are a
lot of people here who have used python and maybe, just maybe, that
influences the opinion of Java. But hey, don't take my word for it.

Some interesting links:

Bruce Eckel on why he prefers python:  http://www.artima.com/intv/aboutme.html
Andy Hertzfeld quote:
"Java was cool -- I could program twice as fast in Java as I could in C++. And
now I can program twice as fast with Python as I can with Java."
Link: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4550

It might just be that python is everything Java thinks it is. ;-)

(FWIW I admit to being a Python bigot.)

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com