Michael B. wrote:

>I've done as much C/C++ development as Java development over the last decade
>and I completely disagree with all three of these points, but I feel it would
>be a waste of effort to argue.

Java is the replacement for COBOL.  Java is popular with management
because it is above critical mass and thus won't become a dead language.
It will probably last as long as COBOL has, but that doesn't make Java a
technically good language anymore than COBOL was.

>Let me switch subjects instead, why is a negative attitude towards Java so
>prevalent on this list?  Java is backed by a UNIX vendor, it is a direct
>competitor to Microsoft's development platforms, and there are zillions
>of Open Source Java projects.  It surprises me that the technology
>doesn't get welcomed with open arms here.

Who voluntarily writes in the language that is the heir to COBOL?  I
don't know of anyone who would do that, except as a last resort to put
bread on the table for his family.

Why would anyone choose Java for an open source project?  How much
control over Java will Sun allow a developer now?  If Java is broken,
who gives permission to fix it?

Python is a far better choice for purely technical reasons.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>