On Tue,  3 Aug 2004 15:29:55 -0500, michaelb at real-time.com
<michaelb at real-time.com> wrote:
> Let me switch subjects instead, why is a negative attitude towards Java so
> prevalent on this list?  Java is backed by a UNIX vendor, it is a direct
> competitor to Microsoft's development platforms, and there are zillions of Open
> Source Java projects.  It surprises me that the technology doesn't get welcomed
> with open arms here.

Java isn't free.  I can't install it on Debian or FreeBSD without
jumping through hoops.  There are plenty of other languages freely
available for me to use, so why should I care about Java?

And don't get me started on actually using an application written in
Java.  rpgoldman summed it up nicely.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/