> Java isn't free.  I can't install it on Debian or FreeBSD without
> jumping through hoops.  There are plenty of other languages freely
> available for me to use, so why should I care about Java?

I'm not sure which definition of free you are using.  You can download the
JDK binaries and the _source code_ without paying a penny.  You just can't
distribute _modified_ versions of it without permission.  I know I've
simplified things, but that's the jist of it.  There are also tons of
completely Open Source Java software and much of what makes up the Java
Development Kit got its start as an Open Source project (e.g. Xerxes, Xalan,
Tomcat, ...).