> 1.  Development is every bit as nitpicky and time-consuming as C++.
>     Give me an interpreter or give me death!
>
> 2.  Pig slow.
>
> 3.  Write once, run everywhere.  After you've installed about
>     forty-two versions of the JVM and jar files that work with your
>     app, because Sun and everybody else change the libraries every
>     twenty minutes.  Now let me see, does that run on 1.4.2 or only
>     1.3.1?  Oh, you developed it to be portable with a PDA, so it
>     needs 1.1.8?  AAAACK.

I've done as much C/C++ development as Java development over the last decade
and I completely disagree with all three of these points, but I feel it would
be a waste of effort to argue.

Let me switch subjects instead, why is a negative attitude towards Java so
prevalent on this list?  Java is backed by a UNIX vendor, it is a direct
competitor to Microsoft's development platforms, and there are zillions of Open
Source Java projects.  It surprises me that the technology doesn't get welcomed
with open arms here.

Mike