From: Kraig Jones [mailto:jkjones at tcq.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 9:54 AM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: [TCLUG] Wireless setup

I'm trying to set up a wireless card on an older Thinkpad 380Z.  I've
found lots of bits and pieces of information in help files and HOW-TOs,
but I must be missing some step of the process.  Can anyone give an
overview of how to set up a wireless pc card?

I have Debian "testing" version, kernel 2.4.25-1-386.  The wireless card
is a Trendnet TEW-226PC cardbus PC card.

With the command "lspci -v" I get:
0000:01:00.0 Ethernet controller:  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8180L 802.11b MAC (rev 20) ...
so I know at least something "sees" the card in the slot, and that it
appears to use the RTL8180 chip.

I've found a driver "ndiswrapper" that's supposed to work with the
RTL8180 (at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/  there's a link to
Debian packages).  I downloaded the ndiswrapper packages and installed
them (though I am beginning to think there is something I've missed
here); now with the command "ndiswrapper -l" I get "Installed ndis
drivers: net8180".

In some of the info pages I look at I see references to "wlan0" device,
but I can't find that device in my system ("ifconfig" etc.).  That's why
I'm not sure if the driver setup is complete.  Ah-ha!  Maybe this needs
to be compiled into the kernel -- if so, how do I do that?

The network does work OK with a Linksys Ethernet (wired) card as "eth0".

Anyone with any experience with setting up wireless cards?  Thanks for
any hints!

Kraig