Servers have for many, many years worked for minimum wage + tip. Society
as a whole has generally accepted the notion that when you dine at a
service establishment you pay the house for the food, and tip the server
for their attention to your needs, ie. service. If an individual wants to
purchase 5 dollars worth of food, and not leave a tip, then I suggest they
go to McDonald's where you stand in line, and get your own drink refilled
when it is empty.

There are many options for people to avoid tipping, and still be socially
accepted. Chipotle, Noodles Inc., Panera Bread, Burger King, etc...but
please don't pass on this B.S. about not having to tip when you are
dining at a service establishment.

Like I said... society has generally accepted this concept, but as
always there is the fringe with a wild ideology that tries to explain
their cheapness away by saying, "I don't get it."

It is not too big a deal if someone does not leave a tip. Just realize
that the establishment, your friends, and anyone else who sees this thinks
of you as being cheap, and nothing more. Regardless of your perception of
the event.

mcd