On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:58:55 -0500 (CDT)
"Matthew C. Dettinger" <matthew at redroot.org> wrote:

> I don't want to belabor this, but one more thing. We don't live in the
>
> Ukraine.
>
> I don't care what they do in Beijing, Bangladesh, Kabul, Torah-Bora,
> and Shang-Ra-la. 15 - 20% is the socially understood payment in
> America.
>
> If we were lucky enough to be in the Ukraine situation do you think
> servers would work for min wage + 1% tip? No they would quit, and the
> restaurant would need to hire servers at $14.00 instead of $4.25. Then
> you would see the price of your burger at $8.00 instead of $5.00. You
> pay for the labor one way or another.
>
> At the least the current 'American' method gives an incentive for the
> server to smile at you.

No it doesn't...  A tip is just that, a gratuity of their service.  If a server gives bad services, you either don't tip them or tip very little.  If they're great on service, quick speed and friendly, you tip them more.

My wife works as a hair stylist, tips are not mandatory either.  Yet she receives them.

Many of the people who work in the service industry who get tips are the ones who take it for granted that they WILL get tips.  Regardless of what their service is.  That's the problem with it, those people don't see a need to be friendly or give good service.  They forget that they are the face of the business to the patron.

If a server gives bad service, let them know.  Let thier management know.  For me, I will always tip a server.  What the amount is depends upon their service.  Want to insult them and let them know you did not like their service?  Leave them a quarter, or a dollar.  If your don't leave a tip, they will think you're cheap or forgot.  Leaving a very minimal amount is letting them know they gave shitty work.

As to wages, most servers work for minimal and have to report all their tips as income.

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"