On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 04:27:31PM -0500, Chuck Cole wrote:
> Good info.  Anybody know what it may take to get Frontier (much of Dakota
> County) to allow alternate DSL vendors on their lines like Qwest does?  All
> they will offer now is bundled DSL and ISP (plus phone promos) and it's
> expensive.

I just landed in this position.  I was on Comcast, running my own mail
server without being bothered, when I bought a house in Lakeville.  I
decided I would go with Charter since I already owned a cable modem.

When I starting trying to get connected my modem, a Motorola SB4100, it
would keep dropping out.  I was able to get a modem from Charter to try
and that el-cheapo didn't seem to have any problems.  In the mean time I
found that Charter filters out SMTP and HTTP traffic, big negative for
me.  I started investigating DSL with Frontier.

Now I never liked Frontier.  Bad service, long story.  But I decided to
call and see what they would do.  I asked Frontier what my ISP choices
are and they told me only Visi.  So I checked their web site and they
give you one static IP and let you do whatever you want. 8(  )  So I
signed up.

The deal is $40 goes to Frontier for the DSL line, 1Mb/128k.  I'd prefer
more on the up side, but that'll do.  $20 goes to Visi for their package
of one IP, mail, web space, etc.   This is more expensive than Charter
Pipeline, but I get what I want.

The end result is I keep my nate at refried.org address, which matters to
me most.

Nate