On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 04:04:58PM -0500, Adam Maloney wrote:

[snip]

> First, AFAIK dish is only 1-way high-speed.  And the latency sucks.  I
> have no other experience with them - only that they've been hated by
> gamers because of the latency, and people that do interactive-type stuff
> like ssh/telnet a lot.  Web and downloads are probably fine, and for your
> average user most of your traffic is incoming anyways, so depending on
> your usage this might not suck.

Indeed, it sucks a great deal, and is meant for the areas that are not
served by anything else resembling 'high speed'.

[Snip DSL]

DSL is great if you need a very long term static IP and/or a block of IP's,
and are willing to pay extra to get up to cable speeds.

> As far as cable goes, I've never had it.  Some of my friends say it's the
> greatest thing since sliced bread, 10MBit throughput all the time, never
> goes down, etc.  Someone I know in Eden Prairie has TWT cable and says it
> sucks - throughput is okay some of the time, but it's down a lot, support
> sucks, etc.  I often wonder if "geek pride" prevents the friends in group
> #1 from telling the truth about their service, or if it's actually that
> much better in different areas.

Much like DSL, cable service varies based on the local cable provider
and how many 45-900mhz splitters you have between you and the provider.

Time Warner rate limits at 2mbit downstream 768k upstream IIRC, Comcast
is currently 1.8mbit down, 300kbit up, with an option to go to 3mbit/300kbit
for an extra $20/mo or so. Most issues are due to a bad modem (cable modems
are recycled like crazy at comcast, i solved a very issues by purchasing new
ones for customers), other issues are due to a bad signal, the rest are your usual
backhoe/incompetent/act of god type issues.

> I also know someone that was running a VPN over some high port, and
> ATT started filtering it after a few weeks of constant traffic to it.

Good point, just because it's unlimited doesn't mean you need to use it like it's
going out of style, wasting anyones bandwidth is 'not nice'.

> Unless you get "business" cable, there's no way to get a static IP.

It's been over a year since my IP has changed. DHCP.

> Original MediaOne users have had to change e-mail addy's 3 times in 4
> years (check my numbers here).  MediaOne.com -> ATTbi.com -> Comcast.  We
> have taken over 5 or 6 ISP's over the years, and they all are still using
> their original addresses.  I can't even fathom what bone-headed decision
> lead to this, but it must have sucked for those poor punters that had to
> go through it.

People actually use their ISP for email?

> If you have line of site to our building (France & 494, so you're close)
> you might be able to get wireless to us.  11MBit of pure love.

5.4mbit tops, shared between x number of clients, at the speed of the slowest
negotiated client =)