> drive way) and they stayed!?  So I sat on the stoop and talked to them
> for a few minutes trying to get them to leave. They wouldn't go so I sat

Do they talk back?  Do they tell you to *do* things? "We'll leave your
yard if you KILL JOE" :)

As someone mentioned eariler, urine does work to keep some animals out.  I
think some even judge the size of the "owner" based on how far up the
scent is on the tree/fence/hydrant.

I have a similar problem - trying to keep the guys from the meth lab
across the street off of my fence in the front yard.  Talking to them
hasn't worked well in the past, but they run pretty quick when I let my
100-pound rott out.  I swear, there is no scarier sound then to hear her
growl.  The most disconcerting is when you wake up to it at 2am in a haze
of sleep.  If I were a burglar, I'd be wearing my brown pants.

We've also managed to keep most of the kids out of our yard.  I brought
home a live northern one day, and we made her eat it outside.  The look on
the neighborhood kids' faces as she devoured 26 inches of Northern Pike,
head to tail, still flopping, was priceless.  She ate the whole thing,
teeth, bones, gills, fins - everything.  They won't come near us.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications