Shawn wrote:

>On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 10:38:38 -0500
>Rick Meyerhoff <rick at eworld3.net> wrote:
>

>>I don't have a box to dedicate as a firewall and I need to avoid
>>spending money right now. Maybe I'm being "penny wise and pound
>>foolish". I actually would like to set up such a box for better
>>security, learning and of course, the "cool" factor.
>>

>Screw the "coolness factor."  That's not why I run a firewall on a dedicated machine.
>
>If I had a spare older machine, I'd give it to you.  Look around to see if you can find an older machine laying around from someone you know or here on the list.

yeah no doubt, these days you *need* a firewall. especially if you have
a dedicated internet connection.

I am running smoothwall 2.0beta5 on a pentium 166 with no problem at all.

I have an old 486 dx4 lying around that you can have if you want it. I
have never run smoothwall on it but people from the smoothwall mailing
list have said it works just fine. I am also sure that it would run any
non-X distro fairly well so you are not locked into smoothwall if you
dont want to (I just find that it is a supremely easy firewall to set
up, configure and forget about)