Rick Meyerhoff wrote:

> I don't have a box to dedicate as a firewall and I need to avoid
> spending money right now. Maybe I'm being "penny wise and pound
> foolish". I actually would like to set up such a box for better
> security, learning and of course, the "cool" factor.
>
> The Mandrake firewall gui says:
> "Which services would you like to allow the Internet to connect to?"
> _ Everything (no firewall)
> _ Web Server
> _ DNS
> _ SSH
> etc...
>
> I read the (very minimal) doc on this firewall and it says that all you
> have to do is have none of the checkboxes checked and none of these
> services will be able to access the net. I don't intend to run any of
> these services so that's cool. The doc also says that the firewall will
> NOT block Internet access by *clients*, this is not the case. The only
> thing I can do is check "Everything (no firewall)" so that I can access
> the net.
>
> The only other thing to consider is that I use VNC to access my W2k box
> so if and when I get a firewall set up I would have to let that traffic
> pass through it.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Why don't you send me copies of /etc/shorewall/rules,
/etc/shorewall/interfaces, and /etc/shorewall/zones.  I have a hunch
after doing a little digging.  Also, give me the output of ifconfig(you
can munge the IP addresses if you don't trust me). ;-)

--
The Wandering Dru <dru at druswanderings.net>
http://druswanderings.net <--- Things 'n' Such

Get nifty TCLUG merchandise at the TCLUG Store!
http://www.cafeshops.com/tclug