On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 10:38:38 -0500
Rick Meyerhoff <rick at eworld3.net> wrote:

> I don't have a box to dedicate as a firewall and I need to avoid
> spending money right now. Maybe I'm being "penny wise and pound
> foolish". I actually would like to set up such a box for better
> security, learning and of course, the "cool" factor.

Screw the "coolness factor."  That's not why I run a firewall on a dedicated machine.

If I had a spare older machine, I'd give it to you.  Look around to see if you can find an older machine laying around from someone you know or here on the list.

Basically, anything Pentium or equivalent will work perfect for a firewall.  Mine right now is a P2-33MHz with 128 MB ram, but I've run as small as a P166/32MB ram.  You don't need a big HDD either.

I may have a machine I could give you in a couple of months, but that's up in the air right now as well.

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"