On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 13:19:03 -0500, Timothy Wilson <wilson at visi.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> My broadband was just connected and I have rejoined the Internet age
> following
> my four-month stint as a lowly dialup user (with apologies to other lowly
> dialup
> users :-). My new place is thoroughly wired and I'm ready to assemble a
> home
> network. I was hoping to get some thoughts on the issue.
>
> Quick inventory:
> (1) desktop running Linux and (1) laptop with OS X and Wifi
> (1) 1-GHz Athlon with 512 MB RAM and loads of HD space (Linux)
> (1) Dual 650-MHz PIII with 512 MB RAM and 9-GB SCSI disk (Linux)
> (1) Linksys cable modem
> (1) Linksys router/firewall
> (1) Linksys WAP
> (plenty) network and video connections in each room

yummy....

> My thought is that this rig will be a fun learning environment for me so
> I was
> planning on using the Athlon for a LAN file server and the PIII as a Web
> server
> for my personal Web site. The Linksys router has a dedicated DMZ port
> that I was
> planning to use unless someone knows of a good reason not to.

port forward: like port 80 for web stuff to yer web server... I think DMZ
opens the whole shebang to the outside....

My RoadRunner IP lease seems to suddenly be changing  more frequently -
like 10 hour lease times

This is a pain in the butt - I have to update my DNS provider with my IP
every time it changes

Maybe you have a static IP or know a way around lease times as a DHCP
client (?)