On Wednesday 03 September 2003 02:03 pm, Johnny Fulcrum wrote:
> port forward: like port 80 for web stuff to yer web server... I think DMZ
> opens the whole shebang to the outside....

I'm using a Linksys BEFSX41
(http://linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=433). From what
I can tell, plugging a machine into the DMZ port (and enabling the DMZ port
of the router) exposes that machine to the Internet completely. What I'm not
sure about is how isolated that machine is from the internal network. I
*assume* (and we all know how dangerous it is to assume) that it's OK and
I'll just run iptables on the Web server if I want to further control access.

> My RoadRunner IP lease seems to suddenly be changing  more frequently -
> like 10 hour lease times
>
> This is a pain in the butt - I have to update my DNS provider with my IP
> every time it changes
>
> Maybe you have a static IP or know a way around lease times as a DHCP
> client (?)

I'm using DynDNS (http://dyndns.org/) and it seems to work well. The Linksys
router has support for DDNS built-in. Names should continue to resolve
properly even if my dynamically-assigned IP address changes. We'll see
though.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson