Woody is what I'm using.
I just can't figure out what packages will get me an install of X
windows with Afterstep.

Side note:
Don't flame this because it's "My" opinion and not just because it's My
opinion.  What I'm saying is about Linux and main stream computer
users.  I'm really trying hard to learn Linux but as with everyone time
is a premium.
I use old hardware because thats what I have and can afford. So I use
older distributions because it runs faster on old the hardware.  I don't
even have a CD burner because I can't afford one.  I'm not poor but I
have other more important priorities then the latest and greatest hardware.
All I want to know, without having to do a research paper, is how to
install "X windows and Afterstep" without all the extra goodies I don't
need.  A simple editor for webpages and eMail client is really all I
need. Using "vi" or "joe" and "mutt"  is just not practical for "Me".  I
want to learn Linux not the greater part of " vi" just to edit the
samba.conf file (joe is plenty).  Powerful does not make better in my case.
I want to be able to tell people with older hardware (and 0 disposable
income) that Linux is an alternative to the latest and greatest from
MS.  These people don't have networks at home, maybe dialup,  don't need
more then file and print on a single computer.  Open Office is "is" the
only application these people will really need.  Having a stable
computer is the single most important thing to these people.  The people
I'm talking about shutdown and turn off their computer after using it,
they don't want to pay the power company for something they really are
not using.

Any "advice" is very welcome, save your energy if your going to flame, I
put flames in the bit bucket.

Sam.