On 17 Oct 2003 22:48:38 -0500
Tom Penney <blots at visi.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 21:09, Shawn wrote:
> > Not sure if this is a physical problem with my DAT drive (DDS2) or
> > not.  But I get it with a few different tapes:
> <snip>
> > tar: /dev/st0: Warning: Cannot close: Input/output error
> > root at ttkd:~# mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
> > root at ttkd:~# tar -tvf /dev/st0
> > tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
> > tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now
> > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> <snip>
> >
> > Any ideas?  Do I need to bite the bullet and replace my drive?
>
> I've had similar problems with dirty heads. Have you cleaned the drive
> with a head cleaner lately? Perhaps you need a fresh head cleaner
> cartridge. You might want to check the drives manual about cleaning
> first but here are some cleaning cartridge links.
>
> http://www.ibuyernet.com/prod~id~122660~TDK_RCL-11.html
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh4/controller/home?O=&A=ShowProduct&Q=&sku=163766

It's a used DAT drive with no manual.  I've cleaned the heads a few times to see if I can get it to work, but each time it does the same thing.  I finally got fed up with it and posted up what's going wrong.  I'm afraid I'm going to have to replace it, but was hoping it was something I was doing...

I think I'm going to look into a DAT40 if I can afford it.  Getting enough data that I need to back up to those now.  =(

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"