I've run into a website that is not allowing me to enter on the
basis that it can't identify my browser.

https://community.sterlingcommerce.com

I've run into this on other web sites, but I've always been able
to trivially bypass it by modifying my USER_AGENT string - in opera
by doing a simple click on the 'identify' button, or in mozilla by
editing my prefs.js file.

Neither of these techniques seem to work in this case.

Does anyone have any idea what this site is looking for?  Any ideas
how to bypass it?

(I'm not 'cracking'.  I'm the IT manager for a wood distribution firm
and Home Depot is requiring us to use sterling as there online invoicing
firm.  A rather asinine and poor use of the web if you ask me - I would
much rather fire off an XML formatted invoice to a server somewhere rather
than tie up a clerical worker filling in a web form... But I digress...)

(I've also contacted their tech support and they feel it is impossible
to fix their web site.  They must be using some of those stone tablet
computer chips...)

Kent