On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 21:09, Shawn wrote:
> Not sure if this is a physical problem with my DAT drive (DDS2) or
> not.  But I get it with a few different tapes:
<snip>
> tar: /dev/st0: Warning: Cannot close: Input/output error
> root at ttkd:~# mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
> root at ttkd:~# tar -tvf /dev/st0
> tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
> tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now
<snip>

> Any ideas?  Do I need to bite the bullet and replace my drive?

I've had similar problems with dirty heads. Have you cleaned the drive
with a head cleaner lately? Perhaps you need a fresh head cleaner
cartridge. You might want to check the drives manual about cleaning
first but here are some cleaning cartridge links.

http://www.ibuyernet.com/prod~id~122660~TDK_RCL-11.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh4/controller/home?O=&A=ShowProduct&Q=&sku=163766

--
Tom Penney <blots at visi.com>