Not sure if this is a physical problem with my DAT drive (DDS2) or not.  But I get it with a few different tapes:

root at ttkd:~# tar -cvf /dev/st0 mail
mail/
mail/sent-mail
mail/saved-messages
tar: /dev/st0: Warning: Cannot close: Input/output error
root at ttkd:~# mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
root at ttkd:~# tar -tvf /dev/st0
tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now
root at ttkd:~# cpio -ict < /dev/st0
cpio: read error: Input/output error
root at ttkd:~# mt -f /dev/st0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Any ideas?  Do I need to bite the bullet and replace my drive?  Or, am I doing tar and cpio commands incorrectly?

The cpio command is there because I tried doing a cpio prior to this, and it failed as well.

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"