On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:07:35 -0500
Sam MacDonald <smac at visi.com> wrote:
>The point isn't centered around internet security.  The point is about
>"does the company, the neighbor works for, allow this".  I haven't had
>the experience of getting a call from a corporate lawyer but it doesn't
>sound like to much fun. If the company only allows a connection using a
>modem, so be it.

If the company is worried about HOW you get your Internet connection, they
will provide it, or they will not allow any Internet connections at all.

>If the Company gets POed at this arrangement and calls the Cable
>company, Johnny could be disconnected without notice and charged a huge
>fee for a reconnect.  A neighbor could get POed  and call, with the same
>results.

The real problems that exist are if the cable company allows you to share
your service with others via WiFi.  From my experiences talking with customer
service (admittedly not the best source of official info) cable company's
dont mind if you share your connection via a router or whatnot, and dont mind
you using wireless connections.  What they DO mind is you trying to make
money off doing that. So, you can give access away to your friend for free,
or you can split the bill in some way, but you cannot mark up the costs in
any way. The only thing they care about is the person who's name is on the
bill is responsible for paying in full and on time, and is also responsible
for security related issues (sorta).

>Lets say the neighbor is working from home on a serious problem.  Johnny
>(forgetting the out-of-site connection) unplugs the cable modem to move
>it. The lights go out in an operating room, who gets sued.  Not the
>hospital, not the cable company, ...

Yes, and when your cable modem goes out because they were stupid and forgot
to update a router properly (or any other number of excuses I hear all the
time) you end up with the same result.  You still cant sue the cable company
for that, they dont guarantee availability to that degree. At least I have
never seen an ISP give any such guarantee for a service costing less than
$500/mo. The best they can do for you is refund you for a day's worth of
service.

Jay