On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Johnny Fulcrum wrote:
> For the connection though, we thought it would be keen if we could both
> use my cable connection - over a wireless network.  There's one house
> inbetween our houses, but I'm up on a hill and have clear view to his
> roof.

<ianal="on">Note that doing this probably violates the AUP for your cable
connection.</ianal>

> I assume a wireless connection be done here - but I may need some
> boosters/antenna. (?)

Sure sounds like it. If it's only a couple hundred feet, it may just work.
Otherwise, you may need to throw an antenna on the roof from the AP at
your house, and a small antenna on the card for his computer.

> Security - I have a old 486 firewall (IPCOP - two nics and can add more
> if need be) and a residental gateway (gateway is basically a hub now
> that the 486 is in place!) between my computers and the WAN connection -
> I think I'd want to dangle the Wireeless access point off the firewall
> in it's own "zone" (on it's own NIC). (?)
>
> I'd want to protect him (via firewalling) too - but not want the
> wireless network to "see" my current LAN.

That's pretty much how I do my wireless networks. If I want access to my
current LAN, I VPN back into the firewall.