The point isn't centered around internet security.  The point is about
"does the company, the neighbor works for, allow this".  I haven't had
the experience of getting a call from a corporate lawyer but it doesn't
sound like to much fun. If the company only allows a connection using a
modem, so be it.

If the Company gets POed at this arrangement and calls the Cable
company, Johnny could be disconnected without notice and charged a huge
fee for a reconnect.  A neighbor could get POed  and call, with the same
results.  I have limited experience with cable companies (I've never had
cable TV and I don't want it) but I know in the past they use a wire
cutter to stop people from re-routing the signal. (Over 300 channels of
BS and growing!  Go get a book)

Lets say the neighbor is working from home on a serious problem.  Johnny
(forgetting the out-of-site connection) unplugs the cable modem to move
it. The lights go out in an operating room, who gets sued.  Not the
hospital, not the cable company, ...

This sounds extreme but it really is a possibility.

Sam.