I find this all rather amusing about the software licenses. This obviously
is more than just an M$ problem. This is still shaking out about rights and
ownership of nebulous thoughts and programs. It will go on for some time
because it is changing as I write this email.
However, it reminds me of my former SE form HP who referred to the giant as
'Bill's Software of the Month Club'. He also called another organizations
production as 'Novel Notware'.
It was a lot easier to set up the rights, patents, and copyrights for
distinct, new, and printed  items. Now with the ease of copying, CD's,
tapes, and proof of dates it is difficult to establish the finite
differences in these items. The problem with OEM copies is they are part of
the hardware distribution. You can not establish a distinct payment or
ownership to them without the purchase of the hardware. These are critical
to the copyrights and licenses of the item. At the point they leave the
licensed hardware they are not legal. They are owned by the hardware owner
as the purchaser.
In reality this is not much different than the ownership of the OS
application materials for a large Unix system where the license is tied to
the hardware with a code and the serial number. It can be changed to a new
system, but with a new code and serial number given by the hardware or
software maufacturer.
Remember, if you build, design, or create something it is your right to
establish ownership of that creation whether it be a piece of furniture, a
new rocket, or some unique written software to accomplish something that
someone wants to be able to do. It is the American Way.

Thanks,
Tim Sinks