Do you have a journaling filesystem on that drive?  I recently upgraded my
machine at work and the new hard drive has write-back caching.  Seems that
journaling filesystems under Linux don't like and give these error.  You
can disable write back caching with hdparm -W 0.  Here's a reference to
some discussion on the issue.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2002/12/08/0031.html

Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe | jpschewe at mtu.net