On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 16:37, Scott S wrote:
> This is what I was afraid of! The drive is a pretty new WD 160GB.  I guess
> it is time for me to check out their warranty.  It can't be more than a
> month old.
>
> Is there a utility like e2fsck that might help?  Something to inspect the
> drive or the data?  I was going to unmount the drive and run e2fsck, but was
> not sure if this would help.

You can use 'badblocks' to check for bad sectors, it can do both
destructive write tests, non-destructive write tests, and read only
tests. badblocks is what mke2fs calls when you tell it to check for bad
blocks.

If you run badblocks enough times you may cause the drive to map out the
sector, this happened on a laptop drive of mine. Ran badblocks over it
on loop for a while, and eventually the bad block disappeared.