On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Scott S wrote:

> This is what I was afraid of! The drive is a pretty new WD 160GB.  I guess
> it is time for me to check out their warranty.  It can't be more than a
> month old.
>
> Is there a utility like e2fsck that might help?  Something to inspect the
> drive or the data?  I was going to unmount the drive and run e2fsck, but was
> not sure if this would help.

e2fsck does a file system integrity check, it does not check the actual
surface of the disk.

when creating a new filesystem you can have mkfs check the surface.
(rather distructive if you want to keep thedata)

if you want to test read access of the whole disk you can use dd or cat,
as in: dd if=/dev/hdX of=/dev/null

for a general write test you can use dd if=/dev/zero (or /dev/urandom)
of=dev/hdX (this one is rather distructive as well, but it is the same as
doing a "zero fill" that the HD utils does)

none of these though are usefull if you want to fill out an RMA, for that
you will need the error code that the hard drive utils spits out.

Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET
http://redconcepts.net/