The Wandering Dru wrote:
> Rick Meyerhoff wrote:
>
>> I could not find a "caching DNS server". There is a "dynamic DNS" tab
>> in the services section that allows you to add hosts, hmm, the
>> "enabled" box is checked but I don't think I did that, should I
>> "uncheck" it?
>

> Sorry, now that I'm somewhere with an actual IPCop box, I can be more
> specific(I was going from memory before).  It's called "DNS proxy
> server" on the information page and I think it's enabled by default.
> Dynamic DNS is for those of us running webpages and other services out
> of our homes or on networks where the gateway's external IP address
> changes on a regular(or not-so-regular) basis.
>
> You shouldn't need that at this point since you're on dialup and aren't
> running external servers.

I "unchecked" it.

>> Sorry, I know what ping is but I'm not sure what to do.
>

> $ ping <IP of IPCop's internal NIC>
>
> eg.
>
> $ ping 192.168.1.1

$ ping 192.168.1.3

--- 192.168.1.3 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2013ms

Not surprizing since I can use the web interface to IPCop from Mandrake
(IPCop has no keyboard, monitor or mouse).

> This should tell you if you can see the IPCop box from your linux box.
> (To stop it, ^c or use the -c flag to set the number of pings)
>
> Next, try pinging an address outside your network.  Using an actual IP
> address will bypass the DNS query and will help us narrow down where the
> problem really is.
>
> Mandrake's webserver works as well as any for this.
>
> $ ping -c 5 212.43.244.27

after using the IPCop web interface to dial and connect, I try:

$ ping -c 5 212.43.244.27
connect: Network is unreachable

>>> sure the Mandrake box is pointing to the IPCop box as its gateway,
>>> otherwise
>>

>> I don't know how to do this.
>>

> The easiest way to do this is to let IPCop handle the IP addresses on
> the network via DHCP.  You already said that DHCP was set up on IPCop.
> All you need to do now is to tell the MDK box to get its network
> information via DHCP/bootp (you can do this from MDK's Control Center).

I found it in the Control Center but the setting does not want to
change. I'd rather edit files and use the command line, I think.

--
Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff