Rick Meyerhoff wrote:

> I could not find a "caching DNS server". There is a "dynamic DNS" tab in
> the services section that allows you to add hosts, hmm, the "enabled"
> box is checked but I don't think I did that, should I "uncheck" it?

Sorry, now that I'm somewhere with an actual IPCop box, I can be more
specific(I was going from memory before).  It's called "DNS proxy
server" on the information page and I think it's enabled by default.
Dynamic DNS is for those of us running webpages and other services out
of our homes or on networks where the gateway's external IP address
changes on a regular(or not-so-regular) basis.

You shouldn't need that at this point since you're on dialup and aren't
running external servers.

> Sorry, I know what ping is but I'm not sure what to do.

$ ping <IP of IPCop's internal NIC>

eg.

$ ping 192.168.1.1

This should tell you if you can see the IPCop box from your linux box.
(To stop it, ^c or use the -c flag to set the number of pings)

Next, try pinging an address outside your network.  Using an actual IP
address will bypass the DNS query and will help us narrow down where the
problem really is.

Mandrake's webserver works as well as any for this.

$ ping -c 5 212.43.244.27

>> sure the Mandrake box is pointing to the IPCop box as its gateway,
>> otherwise
>

> I don't know how to do this.

The easiest way to do this is to let IPCop handle the IP addresses on
the network via DHCP.  You already said that DHCP was set up on IPCop.
All you need to do now is to tell the MDK box to get its network
information via DHCP/bootp (you can do this from MDK's Control Center).

The MDK box should then automagically use the IPCop box as its
gateway/DNS.  The Winders box should be set up the same way.  Then both
of them should be happy.

--
The Wandering Dru <dru at druswanderings.net>
http://druswanderings.net <--- Things 'n' Such

Get nifty TCLUG merchandise at the TCLUG Store!
http://www.cafeshops.com/tclug