> From: Tom Penney <blots at visi.com>
> Subject: Re: [TCLUG] IBM and Redhat (and SuSE and Novell)

> On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 11:18, Richard Hoffbeck wrote:
> > Get use to it. In a world with unrestricted capital flows, global wages
> > get equalized.

> Absolutely! As it should be. If a job can get done for less it helps
> everybody. It Helps IBM be competitive. It helps the consumer pay less
> for higher quality. It helps the people overseas raise their wage closer
> to where it should be. It helps people like Sam to move on to a
> occupation worthy of his wage.

I'm with you, Tom, unless there are artificial restrictions keeping
wages low or stopping the free trade. For instance, I can't go to
India and get a sweet $30/hr programming gig (which would probably
pay for a nice house with a staff) because I'm not allowed to work
there.

> Argue for unions, argue that IBM is immoral and evil for sending jobs
> overseas all you like, I don't buy it.

I'm all for unions, too, especially in underdeveloped economies where the
safety and health of minimum wage earners might not be the highest priority.

> You'll never convince me or the corporate world to spend more
> to complete a job solely because it's the right thing to do.

We don't have to. A lot of them do it already. It turns out it's usually
good for business too.

Chris