> From: Sam MacDonald <smac at visi.com>

> Why does the Linux community only bash MS?

I think it's unfair to say that only MS gets bashed.

However, Microsoft was found guilty of taking advantage of their
monopoly powers in a court of law. Not many others have.

> Why are IBM, Novel, and other large companies immune to the same bashing?

IBM's got plenty wrong with it. I just happen to love their laptops
and despise their practise of sending jobs overseas as so many others do.

> I don't see why it's
> good for IBM to put $50m in to Novel and for Novel to buy SuSe,  other
> then to eliminate the competition.

Even if the purpose is to elliminate competition, so what?

Do you think the public is harmed by the loss of one Linux distribution?
Or even many?

If there's a business case to be made for another company to step up and
deliver a good, unique distribution, someone will do it. The startup
costs are as low as you can get.

> In 10 years SuSe will not exist, everyone will be saying "Do you
> remember that cool IBM Linux distribution before IBM owned it. What was
> the name of it, "Sugi?", it was great. What was the window thingy
> called, "KBE?", was that it?

And if Sugi and KBE are so great now, people will continue to develop
them, forked if need be, and they will continue. If interest wanes, the
projects will wither and stagnate, and that's exactly how it's supposed
to be.

Chris