Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 02:11:08PM -0600, Daniel Taylor wrote:
>
>>The way the software packages are put together. Not as in plastic and
>>cardboard, but the .deb or .rpm files themselves.
>

> Sorry, you missed the sarcasm, please give an example of what is superior
> about the debian package management system as compared to RPM.

By spec, nothing. Debian had better package managers sooner, and there
seems to be better discipline in dependency recording among the packagers.

>>>*Please* will someone explain this dependencies issue? People like to
>>>spout 'dependancy hell', 'dependency consistency' etc. without ever
>>>providing any meat. It's like a marketing buzzword.
>>>

>>I forget that there are relative newbies present, sorry.
>

> Ouch, was that an insult?

No. Just missed the sarcasm and took you seriously.

>>Get something in the wrong order and your
>>whole installation can end up horked while you have to sort things out
>>by hand.
>

> rpm doesn't allow you to do this, you would have to use --force and/or
> --nodeps. At this point you're on your own, and have no right to complain.

Neither does .deb. It happens anyway if a package you need fails to
install correctly because of a missed/mangled dependency. I've had it
happen on rpm and .deb based systems so don't assume superiority for
either one there.

>>There are two parts to dependency management:
>>1. How good packages are about listing their key dependencies. In my
>>   experience .deb packages are better in this. I don't know why, as
>>   there is no technical reason why they should be.
>

> If foo needs bar, it needs it. Case closed. I see no reason why .deb
> should be better than .rpm at saying 'i need BAR'

It isn't. But the Debian packagers seem more consistent about getting
_all_ their dependencies noted in the package.

>>2. How good the package manager is about handling packages in dependency
>>   order. dselect+apt rocks in this area, though the UI is not what I
>>   would call endearing. Most of the "nice" package management frontends
>>   come up short in this area for me.
>

> and apt4rpm does it just as well (if not better)

I haven't used an rpm based system with apt4rpm yet. I'm sure I'll need
it eventually though.