On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> I never use the config tools, I was referring to things like dselect,

dselect is.. annoying at best. personally, i just install a base system,
and use apt-get to install everything else i want. exact same way i
install a redhat box.

> the lack of a basic XF86 configuration during install

personally, i prefer that. just me, though.

> hardware detection (ie, kudzu)

want kudzu? apt-get install kudzu. that's one of my favorite things about
debian, that it doesn't include the hardware detection crap by default -
lets me configure it *properly* on my own, without mucking around. then
again, i may be "old school" - newbies probably don't want to do that.
(but nobody ever said debian was a distro for newbies.. well, at least i
certainly didn't.)