> I never use the config tools, I was referring to things like dselect,

you have a point there with dselect; most people will admit it's pretty
sucky.
the great 'hidden knowlege' about debian, IMHO; is that you should only
install a basic system with the media, then apt-get everything else. trying
to choose the obvious path, and selecting packages from the installer, is
a bit more painful and clumsy.

of course, this is predicated on you knowing what the packages are called,
and what they do; so it's not a newbie way to do it. :)
still, if you've installed Linux at least once before; you should have some
idea what you're looking for, at least enough to get a workable system. The
premise of a lot of this discussion is "what should I migrate *to*, from
RedHat?"

IMHO, if you've used RH for a bit; you have enought knowlege to make a go of
debian, without too much trouble.

> the lack
> of a basic XF86 configuration during install, hardware detection (ie, kudzu),
> a few prompts for system configuration during install... It would solve 90%
> of the install issues people have. A few other items include no skeleton
> equivalent of rc.local, lack of useful sample configuration files (depends on
> the package), poor documentation.. I think that's enough for now.

I won't go over this point by point; but will say that I do not view all of
these as problems.

> Debian is built on the premise that you should have to do absolutely everything
> the most difficult way possible, perhaps to scare off any lowly creature that
> isn't worthy.

no; I'll go so far as to say debian is 'by geeks, for geeks'. (almost)
everything is in simple, logical places; so long as you don't expect your
hand to be held.

I won't say it's perfect; I rather prefer redhat's init scripts by a fair
margin; but aside from that, the packages tend to put things in the right
places, and give you helpful default configurations, and even help in
configuration.

cases in point:
when you install a Mail Transport Agent in debian, whether it be sendmail,
postfix, exim, or even nullmailer; debian gives you dialogs to help you get
a basic (i.e. non-embarrassing) configuration. RedHat packages do not; and
avowedly *won't* in the Fedora project.

here at Real-Time; Nate & I regularly install a package on a debian box, to
see how they made it work, because the RPM for that package is either
shoddy, broken, or nonexistent. We put faith in debian to have a sane
installer, put the files in sane places, and even apply some nifty patches
to it to make it behave in a more sane fashion. (compare the debian
nullmailer package, to the stock tarball.)

we also trust debian to remove all the files and restore the system to a
sane state, when we uninstall the package. something we historically haven't
been able to even remotely count on from RedHat.

> > probably. it's the simplest upgrade path, and hopefully the least painful...
> > but I don't have full faith in the Fedora organization to *not* become
> > another Debian, just with a different package format. (and a lot less
> > maturity in their quality-control process, since they're newer).
>
> Simple? Please, it's like moving into a cardboard box from a townhouse.

what, going from RedHat to Fedora?

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator