On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 01:35:11PM -0600, Clay Fandre wrote:

> These comments leads me to believe you have never used debian. If you
> have, you would have a much better understanding of how the debian
> process works.

I run it on multiple systems, it wasn't my choice. I get a headache every
time I have to touch them, and cringe in fear when I apt-get upgrade.

> What are you taking about? Yes, the version is stable is old, but
> doesn't mean you have to use it. Update your sources.list and upgrade
> to a newer version. Do you ever understand _why_ stable is so old?

Sorry, I need something that _is_ stable, but not old. The moment you mention
that you're running anything but stable the typical reply is
'is you want stable, run stable!'

Some people need to be able to install update and not worry about
a sudden clusterfuck happening that takes down the systems primary
function (http, smtp, nfs, etc)

> Again, I'm lost.

Pine/pico, the latest hissy fit on the debian lists about mplayer, etc.

> > Debian isn't meant for the desktop of your (now)typical linux user,
> > and it probably won't ever be.
>
> And again. Is it just me here? I guess I'm not the brightest bulb on
> the tree, but...

My mother can, and has installed Red Hat. She uses it without any problems.

So does my girlfriend, and so do my little sisters (10, 13)

I'm talking about _users_, not geeks.

> > Use `dselect' for user-friendly package management.
> Oh, nevermind. You got me.

Calling dselect user friendly is a good measure of the 'user friendliness' of debian.

Much like calling rat poison 'rat friendly'

> Why does that make you sick? Has Debian done something against you
> personally?

I equate them with spam, telemarketers, and jehovahs witness. People
attempting to force something upon you.

> But with
> so many Debian users oh so happy, it they must be doing something
> right.

There are so many happy MS/RedHat/*BSD/AIX/MacOS users, they must be doing
something right.