On Tue, 04 Nov 2003, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:

> > Debian is not about apt-get.  Debian was around for years before apt-get
> > existed.  Debian is about free software, distributed as high quality
> > packages that meet strict guidelines.  Having an easy way to automatically
> > install software is merely a feature that the packaging system allows.
>
> Debian is about force feeding you GNU, debian is about forcing you to take
> the hard path to prove your manhood, debian is about making you either run
> an out of date system (stable), a broken system (unstable), or an up to date
> but probably broken system (testing).

These comments leads me to believe you have never used debian. If you
have, you would have a much better understanding of how the debian
process works. I have been running unstable on my desktops, testing on
my internal servers, and stable on my external servers for years
without any major problems.

> Debian is about doing stupid things like having a install disc that
> supports ext3, and allows you to format the partition as ext3, then boots
> with a kernel that has no ext3 support. (or selecting packages to install
> during setup, installing them, and ignoring dependancies, leaving you
> trying to find the package that contains some random library)

OK. I think the "debian installer leaves a little to be desired"
arguement has been covered. Personally I have never had problems with
it, so it must not be that bad.

> Debian is about leaving you to screw with an archaic version of XF86 that
> might support the video card you bought 3 years ago, if you can still find
> the example config on google.

What are you taking about? Yes, the version is stable is old, but
doesn't mean you have to use it. Update your sources.list and upgrade
to a newer version. Do you ever understand _why_ stable is so old?

> Debian is about leaving out software that doesn't meet their strict manly
> standards.

Again, I'm lost.

> Debian isn't meant for the desktop of your (now)typical linux user,
> and it probably won't ever be.

And again. Is it just me here? I guess I'm not the brightest bulb on
the tree, but...

> To conclude:
>
> somebox:~# dpkg -h
> Usage:
> [...]
>
> Use `dselect' for user-friendly package management.
> somebox:~#
>
> I think that sums it up.

Oh, nevermind. You got me.

> </debian-zealots-coming-out-of-the-woods-on-the-tail-end-of-a-6-month-old-announcement-from-redhat rant>
>
> Yes, I'm sick of the sudden jump in debian zealotry, if you're using redhat
> then you'll be fine with Fedora.

Why does that make you sick? Has Debian done something against you
personally? And no, I'm not a Debian zealot. I use them all, Debian,
Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo, even FreeBSD. During my day job I use HP-UX,
Solaris, AIX. Sure I prefer some over others, but I don't criticize
others for using something I don't. There isn't a perfect distro out
there for everyone, so let's not make it sound like there is. But with
so many Debian users oh so happy, it they must be doing something
right.