> *Please* will someone explain this dependencies issue? People like to
> spout 'dependancy hell', 'dependency consistency' etc. without ever
> providing any meat. It's like a marketing buzzword.

the ones that really irritated me, were when RH moved a file from one
package to another (something to do with 'arts' and something with X fonts
come to mind, but I can't remember the specific examples anymore), between
minor versions of the distro (between RH7.2 and 7.3).

you try upgrading one package; and it claims it can't because of a
dependency on something else; which when your automated upgrade tool (I was
using 'grab' at the time) tries to upgrade that package, it seems to depend
on the first.

were there problems with the tool? yes. even so, this was very irritating,
and poor form to change packages like that in a minor release, IMHO.

at least we don't see packages from RH that need to be built as root. (one
shouldn't be root when compiling an RPM; but I'm sure I saw one or two
examples of that back in the RH6.2 days).

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises