On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 01:07:19PM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> the ones that really irritated me, were when RH moved a file from one
> package to another (something to do with 'arts' and something with X fonts
> come to mind, but I can't remember the specific examples anymore), between
> minor versions of the distro (between RH7.2 and 7.3).

Sounds like they were trying to be more consistant.

> you try upgrading one package; and it claims it can't because of a
> dependency on something else; which when your automated upgrade tool (I was
> using 'grab' at the time) tries to upgrade that package, it seems to depend
> on the first.

What's wrong with that? Some things depend on each other, and should be installed
at the same time, but shouldn't necessarily be the same package. Some people
have no concept of rpm -Uh <package1> <package2>

XF86 probably isn't very useful without XF86-fonts, and XF86-fonts probably
isn't very useful without XF86, for example. I'd hate to have to download
the entire XF86 package any time something in the font package was modified
though.

You don't notice that debian does the same thing because you're using apt,
if you use apt under redhat it does the same deps resolution for you (as does
up2date, and the various other frontends to RPM)

> were there problems with the tool? yes. even so, this was very irritating,
> and poor form to change packages like that in a minor release, IMHO.

That's not an issue with a tool, it's user error =)

> at least we don't see packages from RH that need to be built as root. (one
> shouldn't be root when compiling an RPM; but I'm sure I saw one or two
> examples of that back in the RH6.2 days).

6.2 is ancient =)