> Debian is not about apt-get.  Debian was around for years before apt-get
> existed.  Debian is about free software, distributed as high quality
> packages that meet strict guidelines.  Having an easy way to automatically
> install software is merely a feature that the packaging system allows.

Debian is about force feeding you GNU, debian is about forcing you to take
the hard path to prove your manhood, debian is about making you either run
an out of date system (stable), a broken system (unstable), or an up to date
but probably broken system (testing).

Debian is about doing stupid things like having a install disc that
supports ext3, and allows you to format the partition as ext3, then boots
with a kernel that has no ext3 support. (or selecting packages to install
during setup, installing them, and ignoring dependancies, leaving you
trying to find the package that contains some random library)

Debian is about leaving you to screw with an archaic version of XF86 that
might support the video card you bought 3 years ago, if you can still find
the example config on google.

Debian is about leaving out software that doesn't meet their strict manly
standards.

Debian isn't meant for the desktop of your (now)typical linux user,
and it probably won't ever be.

To conclude:

somebox:~# dpkg -h
Usage:
[...]

Use `dselect' for user-friendly package management.
somebox:~#

I think that sums it up.

</debian-zealots-coming-out-of-the-woods-on-the-tail-end-of-a-6-month-old-announcement-from-redhat rant>

Yes, I'm sick of the sudden jump in debian zealotry, if you're using redhat
then you'll be fine with Fedora.